How to Delete Yahoo Messenger from Your PC
Yahoo Messenger is one of the most commonly used and most popular instant messaging clients. It allows users to send and receive messages in real time. To use Yahoo Messenger, the user must have a Yahoo ID, which is then used to log into Yahoo Messenger.
As helpful as it is, some users find that it becomes necessary to uninstall Yahoo Messenger for various reasons such as the following.
- You’re experiencing login issues.
- You’re current Yahoo Messenger version it not allowing you to upgrade to the latest version.
- You upgraded to the latest version but it keeps hanging/crashing so you want to uninstall it and revert to the old version.
How to Remove Yahoo Messenger from Your Computer
To uninstall Yahoo Messenger, first log out and then exit out of the program. Go to the Start menu, then choose Control Panel. Now choose the Add or Remove Programs option and wait while the installed program list is compiled. Look through the list and find Yahoo Messenger. Now choose the Remove option. A new dialog box will open, and click Finish in this box.
Restart the system if it does not automatically do so. Now go to the Yahoo folder found under Program Files (usually, C:\Program Files\Yahoo) and delete this folder. All saved archives will also be deleted.
Go to the Start menu, click Run. Type regedit.exe and then click Ok to open the Registry Editor. In the editor window, go to the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\, delete Yahoo, and then exit the Registry Editor.
Warning! Make no mistake about it; there ARE risks involved with manually editing the Windows registry. However, if you don’t remove registry entries associated with Yahoo Messenger, these may cause problems later such as the following.
- You won’t be able to install a new version of Yahoo Messenger (or revert to an old one).
- If you’re able to install another version after uninstalling Yahoo Messenger, some features may not be available to you.
- When you use certain features of Yahoo Messenger, it causes the IM client to hang.
Note too that not all problems resulting from not removing Yahoo Messenger components scattered through your system present themselves via Yahoo Messenger. For instance, the messenger may be working just fine but your PC is starting to slow down, thanks in part to all those obsolete and orphan registry keys left behind by your previous Yahoo Messenger un-installation.
To solve these issues, try going for 3rd party uninstallers. Most have been specifically designed to not only delete unwanted software from your PC but to search and remove each and every component related to the unwanted software on your system.