How to Use the Dr. Watson Dialog Box in MS Windows XP Professional
- The feature Dr. Watson identifies information about system and application failures and records them in a log file. The data recorded by Dr. Watson is needed by technical support groups to analyze program errors for a computer running Windows.
- Use the Log File Path field to specify the location in the computer where the log file generated by Dr. Watson should be placed. Note: Ensure that the specified path is one wherein all users have write permission.
- Use the Crash Dump field to specify the location in the computer where the crash dump file should be stored. This field is active if Create Crash Dump File has been selected under Options.
- Use the Wave File field to specify the WAV file to be played when an application error occurs. This field is active if Sound Notification has been selected under Options.
- The Number of Instructions field is to be used to specify the most number of instructions Dr. Watson will deconstruct before and after the current program counter for every thread state dump.
- The Number of Errors To Save field is to be used to specify the most number of errors that should be registered by Dr. Watson.
- Under Options section, check the option, Dump Symbol Table to enable Dr. Watson to dump the symbol table for every module. Note: Selecting this option may cause the log file to be very big.
- Check the option, Dump All thread Contexts to enable logging of all threads in the application causing the error.
- Check the option, Append To Existing Log File if appending program errors is desired. Otherwise, Dr. Watson will create a new log file for each new error encountered.
- Check the option, Visual Notification to enable Dr. Watson to prompt a message box for each new program error detected.
- Click the View button to display the log file created.
- Click the Clear button to erase all the log error entries stored in the Application Errors field (located at the bottom of the Dr. Watson window) and in the Event Viewer.